Friday, December 30, 2011

Tribute to the best Grandmother in the world!!!

This was read at my grandmother's funeral, since I could not be in attendance I wanted to make sure that everyone knew how much I loved her & how much she touched my life. Many of you on facebook have been asking about it ... so here it goes! 


Today should not be a day of mourning, rather a glorious day to rejoice. Our grandmother is finally home. She has wanted to be there for some time now. She has been asking for her mom, dad, and brothers; and I just know she is happy to be with them again. She is probably already waltzing through the streets of heaven with DeLynn on Grandaddy’s feet in front of her & Warren proudly watching on!  How lucky is she to be joined with the many loved ones that have gone before her, and to think that one day we all get to join her and be together again.

The truth is that we lost grandmother a long time ago, and I cherish the memories that we had with her & cling to those … to the times when she was the happy, silly, loving grandmother that we love so much. Today, I want to remember the grandmother that tied yarn around baby frogs so that we could have frog races in the driveway. I want to remember the grandmother that laid on the ground on top of the well and pointed out the salamanders, or sat on the back porch whistling at the mocking birds, who always seemed to mock back.  The one that let us dress up in her high heels, pill box hats, and square dancing skirts (Nathan & Chay were excluded from this most of the time).  The grandmother who always said yes when we wanted to bake, and actually let us make the biggest mess doing it…with not one complaint from her!  The grandmother that drew dot to dot farmers on the programs at church and made hats out of the Wrigleys  gum wrappers she use to slip us at church.  Everytime I smell spearmint gum it takes me back to the church pew sitting next to her!  The grandmother that taught us the Christmas story of Jesus by allowing us to act out the entire event in our Christmas programs.  The one that didn’t miss an event. Not a one…every sports game, steer show, choir performance, school plays…in the stands or in the audience we could always count on grandmother being there supporting each and every one of us!  The grandmother that sat for hours teaching each and every one of us something … like how to use the sewing machine, or plastic needle point. She was such a patient loving teacher.

She loved the Lord as much as she loved all of us & the hours we spent around the piano singing hymns has always been a special memory & allowed us to pass on hymns to her great grand children so that they can learn to love the Lord as much as she did!  The memories are to many to recollect, but the one thing that reigns in each memory is how happy and loved we all felt each and every-time we were in her presence. She was such a witty gal & kept us all laughing, thankfully that is something she never lost!  We would see glimpses of that witty gal from time to time & for that we are grateful! 

The most special memory I will always have is of my sweet baby boy meeting her for the first and last time. He sat on her lap & she gave him kisses and tried to get his toes. I thank God everyday for that special moment between me, Grandmother, and Javier.   We love you grandmother!!!  Don’t forget to give Grandaddy, DeLynn, and Warren a big hug and kiss from us all. To my family….I love each and every one of you and wish so much I could be there sitting amongst you today, but know that you are all in heart today and everyday! 

Love:  Javier, JoRie, & Lil'JM (which is what my family calls the lil'man because it is my grandaddy's initials)

No comments:

Post a Comment